Friday, October 25, 2013

TPA response


The TPA lesson format is a great learning tool.  Tedious and repetitive, it is a fantastic way to allow teacher-candidates a way to think completely about the lesson plans we create.  It is not my favorite thing to do, and writing 15 of them for the unit plan is going to take more time than it could really be worth.  I just take it as a learning tool and way to practice my way of forming lesson plans that will be most effective in the classroom. 

I have been familiarized with the TPA since my inception into the education program.  The first quarter in, our final project was really just one TPA – now with practice I am able to write them out in a much more timely manner.  I like thinking about how I  am going to reach each student and what I need to do differently in between the class periods. 

The TPA is a bit difficult to quickly adjust, and that may be where the most difficulties come from.  What do you do if things don’t go according to plan, but it’s working?  Are you still able to assess the same things?  What if the class is not getting the lesson?  How can it be changed on the fly?  If the TPA is viewed as a tool to get to the whole classroom, then it is worthwhile.  If it’s viewed as a hard and fast program, it’s going to be a rough class.

I think it’s great to get teacher-candidates to think about what they are creating.  I don’t foresee myself using them much once I am completely in the classroom on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment