Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Response Based Approach to Reading Literature

This was not a real earth-shattering article.  Some of the other things we have read have really been eye-opening and made me think differently about how to teach.  This article really didn't provide much new material in the way of trying to motivate students to read and interact.  We have been discussing all quarter what it means to teach kids in a discussion based format and this seemed to be just another example of that.

I did appreciate what they had to say about creating 'horizons' instead of goals or objectives.  The learning and respecting of literature does not just stop when a lesson is over, but it constantly changes over time and with new understandings and discussions.  I don't know how many times I've read Catcher in the Rye but every time I do, there is something new to take from it.  The horizons keep changing for me too as I try to challenge and accept my students.

The 'horizon' metaphor also works because students are invited to explore new possibilities and things where they may have been blind to it before.  The discussions and activities should try and promote this level of exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment