Friday, November 15, 2013

Romeo & Juliet

Romeo and Juliet is one of those seminole pieces of literature.  It is something that has been studied for centuries.  I love there is so much that can be taken from this play.  There are love scenes, fight scenes, humor, tragedy, and all the while the main characters are 16 and 13 - ages at which our readers are at.  The play can be read with so many different levels to it, advanced readers can analyze the poetry while those not quite there can read for the themes of romance and tragedy.

Because the book has been read and re-read so many times, there are a TON of resources to help teachers find a quality lesson plan that would work for their classrooms.

The story itself I find a bit irritating at times.  I just want to shake these characters and tell them to stop being so stupid and vain - just wait until things have settled down a bit.  Your families want to help but there is just such a lack communication between everyone that it is SO frustrating I can't stand it sometimes.  It may be a literary device used by Shakespeare to move the plot along, but I still don't like it.

This is a classic story but because it has been done SO many times, I'm not entirely sure I would use it in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment