Monday, November 25, 2013

American Born Chinese - Yang

This book got me out of my normal comfort zone and I really appreciated it.  I haven't read a comic book since I was a teenager.  The story was a bit confusing at first, three seemingly disparate stories that interweave struggles that many students go through.  While this may have been written with immigrants and the like in mind, I feel that many kids can relate to the feelings of not fitting in and embarrassed of their home-lives.

There can be much done with the book.  The pictures can be analyzed to develop meaning, obviously.  I think a much more fun activity would be to have students create their own kung-fu master animal and have them make a comic book.  Within this book, characters have great personalities and would be a rich vein of lesson planning.

As I said before, I rather enjoyed this book, it is a bit different from what I have read but still has a lot of great qualities to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment