Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Weekly Post #4

Okay, so this week I was only really involved with the kids on Monday.  Friday was a "work-day" as my teacher called it.  Since they only have a few more weeks left of school and their big project is just a about due and Friday they worked on it.  It was a bit boring that day, I just walked around the room and watched them put together their "Webquests" or Prezi presentations.

Monday was my the day I worked with the kids the most.  I taught 3 out of the 4 history classes based on my teacher's lesson plans.  His plans mostly just consisted of reading out of the book and then answering questions out of the back.  It was nice to be in front of all the classes for the whole day though.

One thing I did begin to think differently about was just how much time I should give to the students to complete their long-term assignments.  To me, I feel like the students get a lot of free-time to work on it, but the time is spent in spurts, 5-15 minutes at a time.  I think the 7th grade project is putting together a presentation based on information about Washington State.  I can't imagine it would be that difficult but they are given a lot of time to work on it.  As it is, the students enjoyed the time to work independently with music playing and the sun shining outside.  I really don't think the students would have put much attention towards anything else on a Friday afternoon.

I will be putting into practice some of the time that he gives to his kids, but I think I will change the structure in order to make best use of the time I have available to give them.  The time was very unstructured and did not seem to be used wisely.

I really enjoyed being in front of the groups on Monday.  I wish it had been more involved than just having them read from the book, but it was cool anyway to add my own insights and experiences into the reading.

Looking forward to this week and next as the school year winds down and I become more involved with the lesson planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment